A course for anyone who owns a fixed or handheld marine VHF radio
- One day course (7 hours classrom tuition + 1.5 hours assessment – Note – Some pre-reading is required before the course.)
- Maximum 12:1 Student:Instructor ratio
- On site at Preston Marina – (in “The Lodge” training buiding)
- £115 plus £60 exam fee
- Includes RYA G31 VHF Handbook
A radio is an important piece of safety equipment on board and it is vital to understand the correct procedures.
The Short Range Certificate is the minimum qualification required by law to control the operation of VHF and VHF Digital Selective Calling (DSC) equipment on any British flagged vessel voluntarily fitted with a radio. This includes both fixed and hand held equipment using International channels.
A radio is an important piece of safety equipment on board and it is vital to understand the correct procedures. Unnecessary transmissions could block out a Mayday distress call.
Course topics include
- the basics of radio operation
- the correct frequencies (channels) to be used
- distress, emergency and medical assistance procedures
- making ship to shore telephone calls
- Digital Selective Calling (DSC) using simulators
- Global Maritime Distress and Safety System (GMDSS)
- Emergency Position Indicating Radio Beacons (EPIRB)
- Search and Rescue (SART)
The course will be taught and examined using radio simulators. The exam will also include a short written test.
All new VHF sets are either fitted, or can be interfaced, with DSC allowing calls to specific vessels. If you hold the ‘old’ VHF licence (pre-1999) you need to upgrade your qualification if you purchase new equipment. To upgrade a Restricted VHF licence to a GMDSS Short Range Certificate you should contact your local RYA Recognised Training Centre to discuss the update training required and to organise a SRC examination.
Course fee £115 inc VAT + £60 (RYA Exam, Licence Fee and Short Range Certificate)
Upcoming Classroom Courses…
- Fri. 12th August 2022 COURSE FULL
- Thurs 18th August 2022 JUST ADDED
- Wed. 21st Sept. 2022
- Sat. 5th Nov. 2022
- Wed. 25th Jan. 2023
- Sat. 4th Feb. 2023
- Wed. 8th March 2023
All times are 0900 hours to 1800hrs (approx. finish time)
To book this classroom course please tel. 01772 733595 or e-mail email@example.com
Important Note – Exam & Certificate Payment
Before candidates can take their VHF / SRC exam they must pre-pay the £60 exam and licencing fee to the RYA.
The link below takes you to the RYA’s secure page for making this payment. Once payment has been made please print out your unique “Exam Voucher” which you must bring with you on the day of your course and/or exam.