A comprehensive introduction to cruising for inexperienced skippers.
- 40 hour classroom course (including 2 assessments)
- Conducted at Preston Marina in “The Lodge” training building.
- Includes RYA Course Pack (Day Skipper Shore Based Notes book, Excercise book and Practice charts)
- 12:1 Student:Instructor ratio
- Course fee £375 inc VAT
This course equips you with enough knowledge to navigate around familiar waters by day. A basic knowledge of lights is also included to introduce you to night cruising.
We are continually updating our courses to take into account developments in technology and the electronic navigation aids now available on most cruising boats.
The course is taught over 40 hours with two exam papers. It can be covered as a series of short sessions, as an intensive week-long course, or over 3 consecutive weekends.
Course topics include:
- the basics of seamanship
- the essentials of coastal navigation and pilotage
- electronic charts
- position fixing
- plotting a course to steer
- weather forecasting and meteorology
- collision regulations
- construction, parts and equipment of a cruising boat
- emergency and safety procedures including distress calls, use of flares, safety harnesses, lifejackets and life-rafts
40 hour classroom course
Prior boating experience not essential but may be beneficial.
Course fee £375 inc VAT (includes RYA Course Pack)
Upcoming Course Dates;
3 Consecutive Weekends (max. 8 people per course usually 12, min. 3 people)
- November 2021 – 13th & 14th, 20th& 21st, 27th & 28th
- January 2022 – 8th & 9th, 15th & 16th, 22nd & 23rd
5 Day Intensive Course (max. 8 people per course usually 12, min. 3 people)
* January 2022, 10th – 14th inclusive
Phone 01772 733595 or email
YOU WILL NEED A PLOTTER AND DIVIDER, AVAILABLE FROM OUR CHANDLERY WITH A 10% DISCOUNT.