For those who have already taken the VHF Radio (SRC) Course (perhaps online) and need to take the exam to obtain the qualification.
The exam consists of a written exam paper (30 mins), and then a practical assessment using our training Marine VHF / DSC radios. Candidates should allow 2 hours in total for the exam session.
The exams are conducted at our Training Centre, here at Preston Marina.
There are 2 options;
OPTION 1; Attend one of our scheduled classroom based exams (list of dates below). Attendance fee of £30 per person, PLUS the £60 exam and licence fee paid directly to the RYA (details below).
Upcoming scheduled dates for VHF Radio Exam (starting at 3pm, unless stated);
- TO BE CONFIRMED ONCE COVID 19 RESTRICTIONS ALLOW.
OPTION 2; Arrange an exam session outside of our scheduled dates. Attendance fee of £50 per person PLUS the £60 exam and licence fee paid directly to the RYA (details below).
To arrange an exam outside of our scheduled dates please contact us on 01772 733595 or email
IMPORTANT NOTE – RYA EXAM AND LICENCE FEE
Before candidates can take their VHF / SRC exam they must pre-pay the £60 exam and licencing fee to the RYA.
The link below takes you to the RYA’s secure page for making this payment. Once payment has been made please print out your unique “Exam Voucher” which you must bring with you on the day of your course and/or exam.
All candidates must be 16 years old or over at the time of the examination
All candidates must bring with them;
- Their VHF Radio SRC course pack, supplied by whoever they took the course with – this must include the blank Report Card / Temporary Pass certificate
- Their pre-assesment certificate, printed out at the end of the online VHF (SRC) course.
- A passport photo.
- The “exam voucher” printed out (landscape)- sent in an email by the RYA once the exam is paid for online.
- Both payments (1 to Preston Marina and 1 to the RYA) must be paid before the exam session commences.